Monday, April 9, 2007

tv is a nightmare

So, about 10 years ago, I got rid of my television. Here is a comment I made on a blog I came across where the author wrote about how to become more productive:

I haven't had a tv for 10 years. Bravo!

There is not only the money, there is the TIME wasted on tv. If you watch an average amount of television, most people spend around 20 hours a week in front of the tv. Most people claim to watch far less, but they are lying to themselves.

Do the math - that's around 43-50 SOLID *days* of watching tv if you were to do so concurrently (20 hours a week times 52 weeks in the year). The majority of people watch way more - I think the average for most kids is around 40 hours a week.

Anyways, if you only watch 20 hours a week, for every 5 years you are alive, ONE ENTIRE YEAR of that is spent in front of a tv, if watched continuously. So by the time you are twenty years old, you have wasted FOUR YEARS of your life! 6 years wasted at 30, and so on...

Once I did the math, I threw my tv out the next day.

It's addicting, by the way - you will have tv withdrawal symptoms for the next month or 2, before you are completely weaned.

Enjoy that thought!

No comments: